Preparing for Data Insights with Python for Beginners
We’re looking forward to having you learn with us. Below, you’ll find some important information regarding this workshop and how to prepare for the day.
A few things that are useful to know
- Please arrive 15 minutes earlier to leave time to settle in and allow the workshop to begin promptly at the scheduled start time.
- Please ensure to bring your laptop and it’s charger. If you made a request to borrow one upon registering – lookout for a confirmation email. Due to our limited supply, you may have been unable to request a laptop. This means they have unfortunately all been accounted for. Please make alternative arrangements to borrow one from a friend or colleague.
- If you will be bringing snacks, please make sure they are nut-free
- We recommend bringing a reusable water bottle to use throughout the day. Stay hydrated!
- No need to print off your ticket, we will do an online check-in when you arrive!
- If the workshop is 6 hours, lunch will be provided!
How to prepare for the workshop:
Python is already installed on your computer. It comes with it! You can confirm by going to Applications > Utilities > Terminal. In the terminal window type “python –version” it should respond with something like “Python 2.7.6”.
(if you are on your work computer, you may have to ask IT at work if you don’t have administrator privileges)
- Go to https://www.python.org/downloads/windows/
- Click on “Python 2.7.x Windows Installer”
- Once the file is done downloading, double click on it.
- Follow the prompts (you do not have to change any default options).
You will have to restart your computer once you’re done.
Download a good code editor – We’ll be using PyCharm Educational Editionhttps://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm-educational/
Download the Learner Materials here:
If you have any trouble with the above preparation, please be sure to arrive 15 minutes before the start time. Mentors will be onsite to answer any questions you might have to help ensure you are all set to learn! There will also be plenty of opportunities for you to ask questions and get feedback throughout the day.
See you at the workshop!
Canada Learning Code Team