Digital Skills for Beginners
Enhance your digital and technology skills.
Unleash your creative potential.
With the hands-on, social and collaborative learning approach we’re known and loved for, this part-time 7 week program will give you the opportunity to learn directly from industry leading designers and developers and upgrade your skills, explore your desire to make a career switch, start your own business or just learn something new!
What can I expect?
Classes run twice a week with optional Sunday drop-in sessions scattered throughout the program.
This program is designed for beginners, especially those working full-time. We allocate time in class to work on projects so there’s no homework- unless you want to keep learning outside of class (and we think you will).
We approach each class with our hands-on, social and collaborative learning approach so you’ll learn from industry leading experts (at a 8:1 ratio of learners to mentors) and have a time to practice your new knowledge with exercises and projects each class.
Who is this for?
This program is perfect for:
- Adding technical skills to your current career path.
- Exploring the web development path.
- Gaining an understanding of various technologies used to create digital products.
- Anyone with a passion to learn!
But it’s especially relevant if you’re a:
- Future coding bootcamp student
- Communications professional
- Product manager
This program is designed to give beginners essential 21st century skills you can start using in your personal life and/or professional life right away. By the end of 7 weeks, you’ll have learned important skills to help you read, write and participate on the Web. You’ll understand what things like HTML & CSS, jQuery, SEO, SEM mean, how to use them and you will have created your very own website.
Why this program?
If you’ve attended one of our popular workshops and enjoyed it then you’ll love this program! Designed with the same approach in mind, this part-time program is a social and collaborative hands-on learning experience designed for complete beginners! We’ve capped the class size to 30 and for every 8 students we’ll have 1 mentor helping you learn along the way.× close
What will I learn?
Week 0: Install Party + Meet 'n' Greet
Join us to meet the other learners embarking on this 7 week journey and get ready for your first day of class! Think of it as a crash course in computer shortcuts, text editors, computer tricks and more to get you ready for day one.
Week 1: The language of the web
We’ll start from the beginning with the basics of HTML & CSS - what it means, what it is and you’ll start writing your very own HTML & CSS starting on day one.
- Creating HTML page structures
- Writing semantic & standards compliant HTML5 (We’re only teaching the newest HTML5 & CSS3)
- Getting started with CSS
Week 2: All about design
Students will learn about the design process, how user interactions factor into good design and some simple tools you can use and apply right away in your own projects, personally or professionally.
- Elements of good design
- Fonts & typography
- Designing logos and page layouts
- Use design software: Pixlr
- Form design
- How to use colour & graphics
Week 3 + 4: Code, code, code
In weeks 3 and 4, we’ll take a deeper dive into HTML & CSS, learn about the elusive and all important ‘search engine optimization’, add contact forms to our sites and learn how to create websites that are responsive, or mobile friendly, and look good on all device types and sizes.
- HTML/CSS fundamentals (box model, positioning, CSS3, best practices, tips & tricks)
- Creating flexible & responsive web pages
- HTML Forms, Google Forms & data manipulation with Sheets
Week 5: Adding that little sumthin’ sumthin’ to the web
- Using jQuery effects & plugins - think photo sliders, smooth scroll, sticky navs and more!
Week 6: CMS, what?
In week 6, you will learn what content management systems are all about. We’ll explore different options for using the popular and powerful WordPress platform and tips for creating and styling content in WordPress.
- What is a CMS?
- WordPress.com vs WordPress.org
- Intro to Blogging
Week 7: Ready, set, launch!
This week we’ll spend some time adding finishing touches to our projects and cover different options for getting your projects up and live for the world to see!
- Domains & hosting
- How to use FTP software
- Students’ Choice - we’re letting you pick and vote on what you want to review or anything else you’d like to learn.