Canada Learning Code Week 2020: Learning About Digital Safety in a Digital Format
In December 2020, we hosted our fourth annual Canada Learning Code Week, and almost 36,000 people in Canada got involved to learn computer science with a focus on our #clcWeek 2020 theme, Digital Citizenship: Staying Safe Online. It was AWESOME. Canada Learning Code Week 2020 looked a little different compared to previous years – for the first time ever, we invited families to join us in celebrating the week in addition to empowering teachers to bring computer science into their classrooms. And, of course, the whole event was done virtually this time around!
We connected with incredible groups and individuals who wanted to equip themselves – and the youth in their lives – with the tools they need to stay safe online. We hosted a total of thirteen Canada Learning Code Week virtual events:
- Nine Family Game Nights where a total of 346 learners participated in their family units to complete one Canada Learning Code Week activity while getting connected with their community
- A kick-off event that welcomed educators to the week, followed by a breakout session to get them comfortable with the content
- A full-day teen hackathon where we challenged teens to identify and tackle a problem in the digital space
- An exclusive meet and greet with Bill Nye, the Science Guy for 15 lucky winners
- A Wrap-up Summit: an all-ages event featuring Bill Nye to celebrate the end of an amazing week
We were joined by some amazing guests including:
- Jesse Dougherty, VP of Application Integration at Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Vitaly, Boris & Angela from Hack Student
- Derek Tangredi, Director of Education at InkSmith EdTech
- Adam Van Koeverden, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Diversity and Inclusion and Youth and to the Minister of Canadian Heritage (Sport)
- Angela & Lisa from Ted Rogers Fund
- Bill Nye, the Science Guy
And we got some special shout outs!
We also received a warm welcome message from Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation Science and Industry!
There were so many magic moments! Here are a few of our favourites.
2020 was an interesting year and we couldn’t have done it without passionate educators! Check out this thank you message, shared during our Canada Learning Code Week Summit.
A big round of applause for our awesome partners who helped make Canada Learning Code Week 2020: Amazon Future Engineer, Fiix, Georgian Partners, Google and the Government of Canada. Their generous support made it possible to rally educators and families around computer science during this special week. Thank you!
Other Great Reads
This year marks 11 years that I have had the honour of being a co-founder and almost 9 years as the CEO of Canada Learning Code, serving this community fr...
Are you unsure about how to teach kids coding or where to begin? We understand the amount of preparation and stress it takes to prepare a computer science...
In December 2021, hundreds of educators and 13,220+ students joined forces across Canada in discovering fun and interactive ways to teach and learn comput...