Why learn HTML & CSS?
If you are looking to get your feet wet when it comes to programming, then this is the workshop for you. HTML and CSS are the backbone of all websites, and knowledge of them is a necessity if you are interested in things like web development, creating marketing emails, or even blogging! The web without HTML and CSS would be would be a world without colourful, pretty websites, not to mention the web applications we all use daily. It’s easy to learn, and was designed so that everyone - even non-programmers - can do it. No fancy programs are needed, just a text editor and a web browser!
The Ladies Learning Code Introduction to HTML & CSS workshop is designed to be a hands-on experience. During the session, you'll build something like this and learn the following:
- Basic techniques and concepts that are translatable to other programming languages
- The building blocks of how HTML and CSS work together to create richer online experiences
- How to create a website with images, video, and a CSS-defined layout
- How to create a beautiful multi-page website -
- What resources are available if you’d like to continue learning at home (and we think you will)
None! This workshop is designed for beginners.
Who Is This Workshop For?
Our Ladies Learning Code program offers female-identified and male-identified, trans, and non-binary adults hands-on, project-based learning experiences that are designed to give beginners the skills and confidence they need to become digital creators. Ladies Learning Code programs tackle the tech gender gap one positive, empowering learning experience at a time.Our workshops, courses and meetups are open to adults of all ages and genders but are designed to be a space where women explicitly are welcome to learn. Workshops cover everything from introductory HTML & CSS, to WordPress, Python, Ruby, artificial intelligence, web design and more. They are especially popular and successful because of our high ratio (4:1 in most programs!) of learners to mentors at every experience, which is only possible because of overwhelming support from the communities in which we operate.
- 4:1 student-to-mentor ratio with an awesome lead instructor!
- Great venue with a fun, social and inclusive learning environment
- Catered lunch. Yum! We'll try our best to accommodate any dietary restrictions (no promises).
What Do I Need To Bring?
You must bring your own laptop for which you have administrative permissions
Please remember to bring your own powercord. A mouse can be handy too
You may be required to download some free software. After you sign up, we will email detailed instructions.
Note: If you do not have a laptop to use during the duration of the workshop, we have a limited quantity that we can loan out. The option to borrow a laptop will be included in your order form when registering.