TeacherCon is a free multi-day experience for Canadian educators in the K-12 school system, as well as student teachers and teacher leaders who want to inspire kids to be builders – not just consumers - of technology through coding activities and challenges. TeacherCon will provide how-to guides, hands-on training, lesson-planning tools, mentor support and access to an educator community for sustainable support and collaboration.
Takeaways from TeacherCon will include Teacher Guides, access to an online lesson-planning platform, community support for afterward.
We’ve combined our experiences teaching thousands of youth across the country to code, our tips and tricks to get started, resources to familiarize yourself with code, plus lots of easy to follow and even easier to implement coding activities to empower and teach the future generation of technologists across Canada.
Let's shape how technology education is introduced in schools across the country - together!
- Introduction to the “why’s” of Coding
- Exemplars of Coding Projects and Lesson Plans
- UnPlugged Coding Activities (no computer required)
- Coding and Debugging in Scratch
- HTML and CSS coding for web pages
- Tech Stations featuring other tools
- Processing language for beginners
- Little Robot Friends microprocessor robotics
- Teacher Guides and Lesson Plans
- Software and web-based tools
- Access to Teachers Learning Code Community Support for educators
- Cool Canada Learning Code Swag
- Little Robot Friend (your own mini-robot)
Why Teach Code?
Technology is everywhere and it’s not going anywhere. Teaching kids to code is about more than just helping children understand the technology they are using and secure employment in the future. At a fundamental level it improves problem-solving and thinking skills.
We think it’s important for youth to learn to code for a few reasons:
- Coding is a superpower. Learning to code let’s kids build -- not just consume the technology around them like video games, websites, robots and more.
- Coding helps kids develop new ways of thinking and foster problem-solving techniques that gives kids a competitive advantage when applying to colleges, internships or jobs - they are valuable skills that are in high demand.
- Coding helps kids understand the world around them better. If we teach biology and mathematics in order to understand the world around them, then knowing the basics of how computers communicate - and how to engage with them -should be a given.
- Coding can help change the world empower kids to use technology as a creative tool to build solutions for problems or challenges people face everyday.
- Coding is fun! We want kids to experience the satisfaction and thrill of building something of their very own.
None! TeacherCon is designed for absolute beginners!
Who Is This Workshop For?
Our Teachers Learning Code program has been designed for educators with little to no coding experience to be able to teach coding fundamentals to their students. We offer various learning experiences such as workshops and conferences that provide educators with guides, training, and lesson planning tools to help them introduce code and computational thinking to their students.No coding experience necessary - our Teachers Learning Code program is designed for absolute beginners.
- 4:1 student-to-mentor ratio with an awesome lead instructor!
- Great venue with a fun, social and inclusive learning environment
- Catered lunch. Yum! We'll try our best to accommodate any dietary restrictions (no promises).
What Do I Need To Bring?
You must bring your own laptop for which you have administrative permissions
Please remember to bring your own powercord. A mouse can be handy too
You may be required to download some free software. After you sign up, we will email detailed instructions.
Note: If you do not have a laptop to use during the duration of the workshop, we have a limited quantity that we can loan out. The option to borrow a laptop will be included in your order form when registering.