As a national team of educators and community builders, our mission is to serve communities across the country, by delivering free, hands-on, and interactive technology education to youth, teens, teachers, and adults. And in today’s world, the Code Mobile is still committed to being Canada’s most bold technology education initiative — we’re now just delivering all of our experiences virtually to ensure that all people in Canada still have access to these learning opportunities!
Our Learning Experiences
At Canada Learning Code, we envision a prosperous Canada in which all people have the knowledge and confidence to harness the power of technology to achieve economic and personal fulfillment.
To support this vision, the Code Mobile offers engaging, beginner-friendly, hands-on experiences that equip youth, teens, teachers, and adults with a range of coding and computational skills, delivered in a social and collaborative way.
Our team partners with local and national organizations to ensure that our programs are delivered to learners for whom these experiences are inaccessible, and communities that are traditionally underrepresented in the tech sector.
What Goes Into A Code Mobile Learning Experience?
With every Code Mobile visit, our team of experienced staff comes directly to your space and delivers our programs to your learners!
What We Offer:
- All of our programs are free of charge
- We set up a virtual Zoom classroom for your learners to join us! Or, if your team uses a different platform, our team is willing to jump into the virtual classroom space you manage
- We provide resources to help you keep coding
What We Need From You:
- A group of learners to participate, with access to a laptop/computer and WiFi
- Support in coordinating the experience on behalf of your community, and promoting it among your learners, if necessary
Learning Experiences for Youth (Ages 6-8 and Ages 9-12)
For youth, these learning experiences include:
- Introduction to Coding through Scratch – We offer a variety of Scratch-based workshops that provide youth with the opportunity to co-create their very own computer games, digital art, and digital stories from the inside-out! While these workshops are created with beginners in mind, they’re well-suited for all youth with varying past coding experiences.
- Unplugged activities –– Unplugged activities are lessons that teach computational thinking skills through exploration and play. These activities are highly collaborative and designed to be run easily, without much preparation or supplies.
- HTML + CSS – We offer introductions to HTML and CSS, two key languages of the web, including opportunities for learners to build their own website
- Processing: We focus on teaching the fundamentals of computer programming in a visual context, and highlight how simple mathematical equations can create beautiful and engaging outcomes.
- And more!
For teens, our learning experiences include:
- HTML + CSS – We offer a variety of experiences teaching HTML and CSS, two key languages of the web, including opportunities for learners to build their own website, develop a digital resume, or create an interactive video game. These workshops range from 2-hours in length to 6-hour experiences.
- Teen Hackathons – In this immersive experience, learners ideate and code their own website to demonstrate a solution for a social issue they are passionate about. Our Teen Hackathons combine unplugged, offline activities, including design thinking and problem framing, with an opportunity to engage in web-making.
- Virtual Reality with A-Frame – Learners will jumpstart their grasp of Virtual reality (VR) and see how VR is a medium for creativity self-expression, storytelling and creating gaming opportunities
- Processing: Learners will learn the fundamentals of computer programming in a visual context, and highlight how simple mathematical equations can create beautiful and engaging outcomes.
- And more!
Learning Experiences for Teachers
No matter what you teach, our learning experiences are great additions to PD Days, and also work well as standalone after-school sessions and during gatherings for educators who work in the community. Our experiences are primarily for educators who work with youth in grades 1 – 12.
These learning experiences include:
- Lunch and Learns – During our lunch and learn sessions, teachers will gain a big picture understanding of our programs, and pick up quick tips, tricks, and resources to support integrating tech education into their own teaching.
- Scratch for Educators – In this workshop, learners explore a variety of coding concepts and practices, while experiencing example Scratch lessons and becoming more familiar with this free online tool. This workshop can be delivered in 2-hours, or can be a 6-hour experience.
- HTML & CSS for Educators – In this workshop, learners explore a variety of digital literacy concepts and practices, while experiencing example HTML & CSS lessons that use a variety of web-making tools. This workshop can be delivered in 2-hours, or can be a 6-hour experience.
- TeacherCon – TeacherCon is a free multi-day experience for Canadian educators in the K-12 school system, as well as student teachers and teacher leaders. To learn more about TeacherCon and see if one is taking place near you, click here to head to our website!
Request a Visit
Learning Experiences for Adults (Ages 18+)
For adults, our learning experiences include:
- HTML + CSS – We offer a variety of experiences teaching HTML and CSS, two key languages of the web, including opportunities for learners to to build their own website or develop a digital resume through code! This workshop can be delivered in 2-hours, or can be a 6-hour experience.
- Blogging with WordPress – Perfect for individuals who want to understand how to develop an online presence, this 6-hour workshop walks through the basics of content creation and management.
- Digital Skills for Entrepreneurship (Workshops and 14-Week Certificate) – Launching in Fall 2019, this workshop series supports individuals looking to develop their digital skills, and build or grow their small businesses. Topics include: Branding, Budgeting, Building an Online Presence, and much more!
If you’re unsure what the best fit would be for your learners, request a visit to get in touch, and we can help put together a plan for you!
Follow As We Learn Together
We keep our instagram feed full of inspiring stories about meaningful experiences with code.